John Dalway arrived in Carrickfergus in 1573 and married Jane O’Neill and was given a large grant of land in this area. It is presumed he built a house and that he coined the name Redhall. Sir William Edmonston from Duntreath in Scotland bought the estate of Redhall from Dalway in 1609 and this is the first documented record of Redhall.
The Edmonstons doubled the size of the house replacing the spiral staircase with a wooden one and embellishing ceilings.
In 1784 Edmonston sold Redhall to R G Kerr who already owned Portavoe in County Down. He completely remodelled Redhall, adding the north and south wings and moving the front door to its current location. At this time it is presumed that he added the walled garden. In addition he planted many trees around the house and plantations at Blackhill, Ladyhill and McAuley’s hill. Kerr also built the barn, and the White harbour at Whitehead.
The estate was sold in 10 lots in 1869 and Mr J McAuley bought Redhall townland. He added the tower and parapets to the house and built the bathrooms.
W J Porrit became owner in 1900 and replaced the Georgian windows with the single pane windows existing today.
In 1918 Mr G S Reade became owner and he fitted dormer windows to the attics and sold off most of the land.
In 1927 it was bought by Vice Admiral J W L McClintock, grandfather of the present owner.